Total Pageviews

Thursday 25 August 2011

Obey

It seems a bit strange to think about but I am finding that in administration signals can seems strangely mixed.  Even good news sometimes comes with an ominous shadow.  That is, things that you work to accomplish often come with a hidden price tag of creating more work, responsibility, or people to whom your good news doesn't seem good.  My bet is the onset of labor for a pregnant mom must come with a sense of both exhilaration and dread (it did for me and I was only watching!).  Today, I felt a little sheepish telling people good news, a major praise report actually, while simultaneously highlighting some words of caution.  Several other things our team has accomplished lately, that I am very happy about, also have produced more work to be done.  It seems like a lot of it has hit me simultaneously.  Maybe it is from my night of little sleep on call last night, but I felt timid today, hesitant.  That feeling made me re-evaluate my attitude.  Hesitancy is not a feeling I want to feel accustomed to.  

I remember that Bill McCoy, a spiritual mentor here on the field, used to have a quote up in his office (which is now my office) about "a long obedience in the same direction".  The quote is originally from Friedrich Nietszche and the discussion of a discipleship book with that name by Eugene Peterson.  Sometimes showing up for work is a simple act of obedience -many things in life are.  I have been thinking about obedience lately.  I think the essence of it is found in Christ, our example - Philipians 2:8 "And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death— even death on a cross!" and Hebrews 12:1a-2 "And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." 

If I can mix those two up and re-translate those for myself today it would be "think about Jesus, finding he was human like me, humbled himself and didn't hesitate to do what he knew needed done, even willfully submitting to opposition from evil people and a painful death because he knew God's redemption plan and glory were the only thing that mattered and would bring real joy.  Be like that."

Obedience is really a constant reminder of death - a constant resubmission to the self-sacrifice we chose when we made Jesus Lord of our lives.  I remember a fiery African-American preacher preaching on "living the death walk".  It is such a contrast to our society, which teaches us the importance of individuality, self-awareness, self-expression, and the pursuit of happiness.  Does this job/personal relationship/situation make you happy/fulfilled?  If not it must be wrong or must be changed. A TIME article a couple months ago highlighted the billions Americans are spending on trying to find spiritual self-fulfmillment in self-help books, ancient yoga, and new age philosophy More people than ever are trying to find fulfillment in pick and choose style spirituality, alternative life-styles, ancient religions, cults, etc... despite this "self-fulfillment" and "self realization" divorce rates are skyrocketing, children are abandoned, babies destroyed, the mid-life crisis is considered normative... all because this philosophy is just a manifestation of the self-centered carnal nature.  

The believer is free to realize that the world does not revolve around me and my small plans.  There is an mighty God to be served, one with infinite wisdom and foresight, and plans beyond our wildest imagination.  The question is not does this _______, make me happy?  The question is, is this God's desire for my life?  Am I bringing God glory?  Am I loving others in a way that releases God's love in my life?  Do I forgive as I have been forgiven?  Am I humbling myself as an obedient servant and becoming obedient to a life of self-sacrfice?  Ironically much of our spiritual and emotional pain in life is in resisting our own self-sacrifice.  When we obey we receive those fruits of the Spirit "love, joy, peace,...", we find healing in our relationships, we see God work in our attitude as much as in our circumstances,... all because only when we align our priorities to God's does the world make sense.  Only in relationship with our Creator are we fulfilled and joyful and we receive a peace that "transcends understanding". 

Has God called you to a hard task today?  Are you struggling to feel fulfilled in a relationship?  Don't hesitate - obey!  Plunge in with joyous abandon.  Don't be afraid to make the sacrifice of time and opening yourself to hurt and struggle.  Don't assume obstacles are "closed doors" - keep asking God for direction, strength, and perseverance.  It is the long obedience that sees the fruit of all God has planned and obedience can become real joy and not drudgery.

Allison is starting to learn Hebrews in Bible quizzing, I hope someday she can look at our lives and learn Hebrews 10:39 "But we do not belong to those who shrink back and are destroyed, but to those who have faith and are saved."

In Christ
Scott

1 comment:

  1. Scott, I am very challenged today by your words. I have struggled much the last few years with a lot of things and your thoughts are a fresh challenge to me to look not at my circumstances, but to look to the Lord. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete